Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm Writing A Book...

...but you'll never be able to buy it.

I am writing Emily and Steve a book for their wedding.  It is nothing fancy...just a spiral bound book of blank pages.  

Recently I read a couple of books where a parent has written his child a book of letters.  So I had this *bright* idea that I should do that for Steve and Emily.  Steve has said several times that he wished he knew Emily when she was a little girl.  I am trying to put down on paper some of her antics and escapades...things that have endeared her to us, as well as give Steve a glimpse of what it was like to watch her from infancy until now.

Yesterday I let Emily read my first two entries and asked her if I should keep it up or ditch it now.  She implored me to continue, so I guess it is serving its purpose.  She will be able to read things I thought but never told her.  Isn't that the beauty of a book...being able to "read" the author's mind?  A lot of them will be things that she was too young to remember.  Some will the the circumstances around events that she was unaware of at the time.

I hope it is a meaningful gift for the two of them.  One of my friends who also has a daughter getting married this fall asked me if I was sad that Emily was leaving us.  OF COURSE!  One of my goals is to only express happiness at their rehearsal dinner and wedding.  I.  am.  happy.  But I will also be so very sad to have her leave our house.  I am thrilled for who Steve is and who I see him becoming.  Could not have picked a better husband for her myself (if that were even possible).  But it is bittersweet for me.

~Joan

5 comments:

Leeanne said...

Is Emily your first child to be married?
Love the book idea.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a great idea! I'm sure they will both cherish the book forever.

sarah, rsm said...

what a marvelously wonderful idea! i know it will be loved and treasured.

Samantha Roschelle said...

Wish I would have had a mom to do stuff like that.... I think that is an awesome idea! I have never heard of that, so I have now decided to do that for my son-in-laws (yes I know, it is a LONG time from now!) Thanks for the inspiration :-D

suz said...

Joan, this is such a lovely idea. My son is out on his own now. While I miss him terribly, it is best for him AND me. We both get to grow in new ways. Of course, there is only the two of us, so it's a different dynamic than the one you have. Still, it's strange not to have him around.