Thursday, June 9, 2011

Crumb!

Usually when someone says, "Crumb!" they are frustrated or something.  Not this girl.  Last night I was looking at my new b-friend's blog.  Her name is Natasha, and she is a new quilter.  She made a gorgeous crumb quilt and even had a tutorial.  I've seen these, and they have never interested me, until NOW.  I thought I'd try one block. 

I thought I didn't have many crumbs, but a search in my small-pieces drawers yielded enough and MORE for a large top.  I have all of the block centers finished, and am now working on making the blocks I want from them.

Years ago I sold Thimbleberries fabric (I still do, but don't work at selling it, KWIM?) and got sample squares (about 2-1/2" squares...a small piece from each fabric in the new line).  I had some weird colored packs...pinks, mint green, bright purple!!  I threw them all in the mix.  They are Thimbleberries, and they fit right in in spite of not matching at all.

This IS  like eating potato chips...I could not stop with just one.  I had all kinds of tiny blocks that I don't recall making.  But they do make the cutest block centers when framed out with odds and ends. 

The pictures below show my original plan on how to set them.  But the more I looked at Natasha's, the more I liked the way the two blocks played together.  The first picture is my 9-patch blocks with a larger center.  I got really creative and pieced my cornerstone blocks (the ones in the pic below are single pieces of fabric).


Here is a pic of both types of blocks together...the 9-patch and the 8-point star blocks.


Here are a couple of my favorite blocks...I don't know where else I would have used them.  The first one's center star was from this post...in 2008.



People are always asking me how I decided to put this fabric here or that one there.  I have no real plan except this rule for this quilt.  The block centers (which measure 4-1/2" unfinished, BTW) that have cream touching the outside are being used for the 8-point star blocks.  The all color ones are being used for 9-patches. 

As I was looking through my drawers, I came across 25 string blocks that miraculously measured 4-1/2" square.  I don't remember why I started making them.  Only two were incomplete.  I had been piecing them onto phone book foundations.  The paper had been torn off 23 of them.

I can't wait till the kids go to bed so I can sew some more.

~Joan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the lovely comments!!! I am blushing. But, my oh my how I love the centers of your scrappy blocks! Pinwheels???? Bear paws....STARS?!?!? I am DROOLING over it! I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Leeanne said...

Love your crumbs! They are addictive, and why not sew something as your leader /ender?
I had fun making mine too.

Ruth said...

Another good way to use up scraps. I'll have to wait until I get home where most of my scraps live, and maybe I'll start using them for leaders/enders. I was going to do that once, but didn't get going on it. I really like the mini block in a block that appear in some of yours!