Friday, March 30, 2012

{Post #946} 12 Scrappy Blocks



My scrappy trips blocks are 12 strong now.  I am calling it a night as far as sewing.




Here's the barn raising layout with the same blocks:






Several things happened today that made me very happy.  I saved oodles of time and money.  


My sewing machine was malfunctioning.  I bought it y-e-a-r-s ago about 90 minutes from my home.  That's where I have taken it annually since we got it for a check up, cleaning, etc.  Recently I saw that a local vac/sew shop had a "sewing machines repaired" sign up.  I took it over there and found out that the man that repaired my other machines picked up and repaired the ones for the store.  I was not completely happy with that (for reasons I will not get into). 


A few days ago when I was sewing (it was on my Janome 6500), I broke a needle.  The bobbin case had jammed up under the little clear door that covers the bobbin.  It appeared that there was a problem with the bobbin case (over the years I have bought 2 others).  I found a company online that carried the parts for my machine (www.sewingpartsonline.com).  I had a question about a part not listed, and someone emailed me back within an hour.  I was impressed.


Well, back to my story.  My parts came today.  I ordered a needle threader (mine had mysteriously disappeared).  I was able to get that installed w/o bothering my overworked husband, for which I was thankful.  I also received a screw for my cover plate (which went AWOL with my threader at some point...maybe a vacation in Hawaii?).  The replacement screw was 1/4" longer than the one I had.  It would not go down into the plate all the way.    


Then I had a brilliant idea (only because it worked!).  I moved the existing screw to the other hole, and the new one went all the way down into the other hole.  Problem solved.  Well, one problem anyway.


I changed out the bobbin holder and put in a new needle.  I have not sewn for days and was so eager to have some machine piecing time.  First stitch--CRACK--my needle broke.  Same problem as before.  When the case for the bobbin holder rotated, so did the bobbin holder (it is supposed to be stationary).  After some close inspection (and wondering if I could go down to the shop 90 minutes away to drop off my machine tomorrow only to make the return trip in a few days)...I realized it had struck again...ENTROPY.  Our two water disasters of a short while back were caused by the same culprit.  I looked back and don't see where I posted about those...that was a dark day.


Entropy is the explanation for the breakdown within a system.  Loosened screws, pipes, stitches...all entropy's fault.


Anywho...if you are still with me...a screw had loosened that keeps a little tiny miniscule guard in place that keeps the bobbin case from rotating when the area encircling it does.  So with a simple turn of the screwdriver, I was back in business.


Those of you who have a Janome 6500, take heart...I fixed my machine today!!


~Joan

1 comment:

Me and My Stitches said...

Ok, I can't help myself...what your telling us is that you had a screw loose?! HAHAHAHA! Sorry...it's early, I should have more coffee...