Tuesday, July 10, 2012

{Post 1,004} Northern Comfort

Last year while we were visiting in OH, I found a quilt book in JoAnn Fabrics that I really liked.  There were several quilts in it I wanted to make.  Yes, I'm on a start-a-new-project kick.  It's as if hand-sewing (bindings, etc.) does not count.  I want to be at my machine!!  I think I need a comfy chair down in the sewing room to sit and do hand sewing in.  


Anyway...I started a Northern Comfort quilt today and have made quite a bit of progress.  The original quilt only has 36 blocks.  I probably will add another row around the perimeter at least.  As is, it will measure 61" square.


Here is the progress from the first 9 blocks:




To 19 blocks:




To my final count of completely finished 28 blocks:




Except for 2 cuts from bolts, this is all from scraps.  It calls for 2-1/2" strips.  I even used up some 2-1/2" squares that I found in my pre-cut fabric drawer.  I keep 4 clear plastic shoe boxes on top of my bolt storage for scraps that are fairly small (smaller than a FQ).  


I really like this!  The blocks are 8-1/2" square unfinished.


Off to finish laundry and make some more blocks.


~Joan

1 comment:

Leeanne said...

Oh I like this one too!