Tuesday, November 13, 2012

{Post 1,088} New Hand Project Started


This is my latest hand-piecing project.  It will be a very long and slow process, but I wanted to document it for myself for the future.  I started by cutting up one brown and one cream (for alternate squares).  I have used 2 pinks so far.  As I come across pieces large enough (5-1/2" square) of the creams for the alternate squares, I will add them to the pile.

These are LeMoyne stars.  I am making them all brown and pink with one cream background per block.  If history repeats itself, I will have many fabrics represented by the time this is a finished quilt top.  I am thinking of making a bed-sized quilt and quilting it by hand, so look for the finish in about 14 years.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying the hand piecing.  



I might even get all fancy and use some brown alternate squares or (!) pink ones.  Pink was the favorite color of one of my grandmothers.  I've never been fond of it, but I like it in these.

Here is the other project I am working on today...machine quilting my green scrappy square shams to match my Christmas quilt (which is on the bed as I type).  I took my DH's advice from the last time I nearly went blind quilting with matching thread and am quilting with the muslin on TOP instead of the usual backing location.  It's going well, and I might finish them today!





3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Sounds like we hand quilt at about the same rate! *LOL*

Kath said...

Yep another slow-poke here. A single bed quilt takes me about a year to hand quilt and that's if I don't get distracted by another project!

Elaine Adair said...

I am finally getting back into blogging, reading posts, and getting some posting done! Guess why I stopped here - LOVE to see the quilting lines which are so lovely. Glad to be looking at your posts. Keep up the beautiful work!