Monday, July 28, 2014

{Post 1,388} Store Scores

I had such a GREAT shopping day.  I hate to shop.  No, that is not exaggerating.  I hate it.  I hate spending money.  I hate the time.  But lately, I have started to not thoroughly detest it.  Now I'm even on the verge of "enjoying" it.  I have been wanting a pretty bed frame.  The one we have was my grandmother's.  She gave it to us when we got married.  Honestly, I have never liked it.  It was made for a double bed.  We have a queen-sized mattress and box springs, so we use a frame that stands alone and just pushed the headboard up against the wall with it.  

Even though I was longing for a new frame, I didn't want to spend much on it.  As I looked at home made ones, I concluded that I'd have to spend at least $100 to MAKE one like I wanted, and even then, I was not sure it would turn out like I wanted.

So here's a partial recap of my shopping day.


On our way back from picking up the intended item (last in the pictures), we stopped to gas up our friend's truck that we borrowed.  There was a Goodwill adjacent to the gas station, and I was compelled to go in.  I am not sure why.  But I ended up getting some real gems.  

Above is an oval picture frame.  It looked like something my grandmothers would have had.  I love things like that.  I entertained the idea of making it a chalkboard, but I'm going to let it marinate.  It holds an 8 x 10 picture.

Next up is two perfect condition (just need a little cleaning love) kitchen counter stools.  Our 3 little ones are so pathetic.  Wobbly, uncomfortable, and just not trustworthy.  These were $8 each.  Since I had the truck, why not get them?  They will match my kitchen perfectly, and there's not a thing wrong with them.  Sturdy and lovely.  I couldn't believe my luck!


Here's the beauty I was going to pick up.  This is my new headboard!!  It is EXACTLY what I pictured having in our room.  The footboard is exactly the same design but has no wrought iron.  The best part is that I didn't want to spend more than $100 on it.  I got it through Craig's List.  It was advertised for $200 (originally cost $600, or so the previous owner said).  When I was looking at it, I kept seeing tiny scratches.  I had planned to restain it and then seal it with furniture wax anyway.  I was sure every imperfection would be covered up and fine.  As I was thinking about it, the seller said, "Will you take it if I lower the price a little?"  Before I could respond, she said, "Will you take it for $100?"  A little to me would be $180 or so.  I could barely believe my ears.  I felt like I'd won the lottery.





4 comments:

Kath said...

I hate to shop. No, that is not exaggerating. I hate it. I hate spending money. I hate the time.

Yep, me too Joan!
But I'm glad you did well with this particular shopping trip.
I got 5 paperbacks for £1 today, so I'm happy too :-)

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wonderful!

Lindah said...

I'm with you on the shopping issue. I can put off shopping so long that I no longer need/want the items. (That can be bad where pantry and closet items are concerned.) :-) It looks like you got some great/lovely deals on this trip. Good for you!

Ruth said...

The only shopping I like is going to quilt stores, going to garage sales and thrift stores. You really scored on your purchases. The chairs are lovely and I like the way you painted them. The bed frame is gorgeous! We don't even have a bed frame for our king size bed. I better start looking for one and I sure wouldn't want to pay more then $100 - I'm really cheap, uh, frugal. Pretty soon, I will be doing a lot of thrift shop shopping because we will need some items for our new house.